5. Social Media Stoke Unrest and Ignite Web-Rights Debate: When the explosion in social networking helped topple repressive regimes last year, governments worldwide took notice, stepping up efforts to limit public Internet access.
11. Scientist of the Arab Spring: At Caltech, Ahmed Zewail is a world-class chemist. In Egypt, he is a national hero.
44. New Pentagon Rules Blur Line Between Digital and Physical Warfare: Under the US's new strategy, the military can prepare for cyber warfare just as it prepares for wars on land.
59. The Mismeasure of Stephen Jay Gould: Looking deeper into Stephen Jay Gould's claims this year has revealed he was guilty of the same sins he decried in others.
73. Quake Science on Trial in Italy: Can scientists be held accountable for deaths in a quake they didn't predict?
97. CIA Said to Exploit Vaccine Drive in Pakistan: To get DNA in their hunt for Osama bin Laden, the CIA may have gone too far.